Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Beer is My Spirit Animal

 Day 13 -- August 11, 2021

It's 51 degrees and partly cloudy when we wake, so Herb turns on the diesel heat in Sweet Georgia Brown.  










He tells me about a trail that leads from the State Park into the town of Eagle Nest, so we decide that would be a great morning walk, so we could have lunch at a restaurant there.  We anticipate a thirty minute walk and by 11:30 when we begin our trek on the trail, the sun has heated to 78 degrees.  

My solar shirt will protect me from the sun's rays.  I grab my small purse that can hold my phone and wallet, my mask, hat, sunglasses and a Camelbak full of water over ice cubes, and off we go.














Walking down our street, Marina Way, we come to the Eagle Nest Lake State Park, where we will get on the trail to town.  We see a raven on the pole in the photo showing the town.  Bruce, we said "Hello" to the raven. 











There is an iron gate blocking vehicles from taking the trail, but pedestrians are allowed to go between the posts for access.  The sign reads, "Lake View."












Sipping ice water as we walk along the trail, we see many critter holes, but so far no critters appear.  I think they are marmots, that
 range from southwestern Canada throughout the western United States including the Rockies (where we are), Sierra Nevada and intermountain west. They typically live in open habitats such as steppes, alpine meadows, pastures, gravel-covered fields and the forest edge.









Seeing great views, Herb stops to show me our destination -- the town of Eagle Nest.  On our left side is a house wth a very steep roof, which allows the snow to slide off.  Yes, we are told it can be very 'chilly' here in the winter.











I finish drinking the water in my Camelbak, and wonder if I should have brought more.  It's getting very hot out here, but I am so happy to see that we are almost there!










Arriving to the restaurant at 1pm -- not 12 noon -- we order our food and water! The trail has so many curves that the distance is deceiving.   I think the restaurant has found a clever way to advertise their beer, which is very fitting given that there are both bear and deer in the area.





After such a warm day, I am very pleased to be able to have our cocktails outside in the cool of the evening.   We experiment with using a glass of the shape that will more easily fit the cupholders in our lawn chairs.


Willie of Sweet Georgia Brown 

   and of Walldog and Willie

   August 11, 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment