Thursday, June 20, 2013

Swinomish Channel -- Saturday, 6/8/2013 -- Day 29

Herb checks marine conditions and tides at LaConner, as we like as much water as possible under Willie's Tug when she goes through.  If we go now, we catch the first high tide.  We go.

Well, we go after we walk Jake and get the boat ready -- one hour later.  There is a light chop with wind at 10 to 12 knots.  We have following seas in Saratoga Passage.  I think I see fog ahead, but as we enter Skagit Bay, it thins and we encounter rips and more chop.

We turn into Swinomish Channel and I stand at the cockpit door to watch the range markers behind us line up.   I call to Herb either "to port" or "to starboard" to direct him in correcting to stay in the channel.  Perfect!


A fast fishing boat passes, temporarily blocking my view of the markers, but we have a depth finder to check. 

Several minutes of this, which seems like an eternity, and we are in deeper water.  Beautiful homes along the way.


I can usually count on seeing an eagle or two as we get near Padillo Bay between LaConner and Anacortes.  Today it is a baby eagle -- first sighting of the season for me.


South Sound was a wonderful experience, and I would go again.


Willie of Willie's Tug,
     and of Walldog, Willie and Jake
     Saturday, June 8, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment