Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 106 Addendum - Rosario Resort & Spa, Orcas Island WA - Wednesday, August 24, 2011

In the interest of leaving Rosario Marina by checkout time, I shortened yesterday's blog, but now have a few more thoughts to share.  


The presenter at the organ concert in the Moran Mansion tells us that the real organ pipes are hidden, and what we see here is just a facade.  The organ is in a loft behind the audience, also hidden from view, and is a 'real' one which replaces the player-organ that Mr. Moran had.  He could not play the organ, but didn't want anyone to know.






A real highlight of the program is a silent movie of The Phantom of the Opera, with the actors and actresses in period dress.  Yes, silent before talkies, so there is no sound, no music.  Only the music that I hear in my mind as I think of Sarah Brightman.










The house in its original form included a bowling alley, but it has been removed.  I think it was probably where the showers for the spa and outdoor pool are now located.


Later it is our pleasure to meet a family docked next to us.  It is the yellow wine glass that catches my eye, and I ask where she got her yellow 'crystal.'  She replies, "Costco."


Her husband is wearing a T-shirt featuring Iron Andy, and I see her nametag with the same identification.  I think it is probably a golf tournament, but she explains that Andy was diagnosed with Type I diabetes as an adult, and is a spokesman for her company, which owns pharmacies.


He travels around speaking to children's groups, because they are the ones usually having Type I.  He encourages them to comply with their diet and health plan to have a normal, happy life.


Andy also participates in triathlons, and the carbing up requires that he check his blood sugar many times during the exercises.


I like her story.



Willie of Willie's Tug,
    and Walldog, Willie and Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment