Friday, June 2, 2017

From Volcanic Lava to Ice -- Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Geology is drastically different as seen this morning continuing our trip on I-95 from Nevada toward the state of Washington.  Near Jordan Valley OR we see some of the Jordan Craters alongside the highway.  It would be fun to explore the area and look for aa, a Hawaiian term for lava flows composed of broken lava blocks. 

Click to read more about the Jordan Craters.



















Now back to desert and a view of the lovely snow capped Cascade Mountains.














For miles and miles we see barbed wire fence protecting the cattle herds, now and then with a 'stack' of rocks.  I don't think I have ever seen this before, and assume there is a good reason for the collection.  Surely, no one took the time to build this just for fun.  

Does it have a secret message for the cows?  Or treats?  Perhaps salt?

When we stop for fuel I ask a local person, and learn the rocks are placed inside a circle of the wire fence to anchor it at places where the fence is at risk of falling over.  Where it goes across a gully and at corners of the property.  Makes sense.















Mount Hood, totally covered in the winter's snowfall, comes into view and we are able to catch a glimpse every so often.  When we cross the 45th Parallel, halfway between the Equator and the North Pole, I feel the bump.  Or could it be just uneven pavement?  




















And we still get to enjoy the curves and slopes of the hills we drive by.  On the left near Warm Springs OR I get a lucky shot of the Deschutes River.















So far the snow has been seen from afar, but when we stop again, Herb notices a block of ice over to the side of the turnout.  I quickly walk over to examine it.  At first I think I see volcanic ash covering the snowbank, then he figures out it is simply dirt swept up to clear the drive.

Oh, well.












Back on the highway I get a text message from G-granddaughter MaKayla Marie, who will take a cruise to the Caribbean this summer.  She will be wearing shorts and seeing palm trees.  I tell her we have both summer and winter clothes with us for our vacation, and see the beautiful evergreens of the Pacific Northwest.  I grab a couple of shots to show her.




















Farther down the road we stop at a rest area and ski resort and I point to the cleaner snow among some driftwood, with the block of ice behind me.  Herb says only someone from the South would get excited over snow!  And dirty snow, at that! It almost looks like ash from a forest fire.

Willie of Willie's Tug,
   and of Walldog, Willie and Jake
   Tuesday, May 23, 32017


No comments:

Post a Comment