Friday, September 14, 2012

Gotta Go to Poulsbo - 9/9/2012

On Sunday morning Russ and Toni on Traveler join us to cruise to Poulsbo, which is just north of Bremerton through Port Orchard Bay and into Liberty Bay, and is sometimes called "Little Norway."  We fuel in Brownsville and plan the short cruise day, as wind and rain are predicted for the afternoon.

As we near Poulsbo Marina, we see an interesting boat -- I think she lives there.


The sun is shining now and then, the temperature is cool, and we see a few more Ranger Tugs arrive in the marina. 


Traveler

Blu Flu

Carpe Diem

Circle T










Having heard so much about Poulsbo from other RTug owners, we hurry to walk about and explore -- and shop!  Poulsbo has been a destination for Scandinavian immigrants, mainly Norway and Finland, and its colorful main street reflects that history.


Mural on The Chocolate Store 

Toni and I visit many of the shops in town, and I am fortunate enough to find just the charm I have been looking for -- a ships wheel -- and not one, but three, so I can have one on a necklace and the other two for earrings.

The next shop we see is Verksted Gallery, a fine arts and crafts cooperative.  Anticipation is now high, as we know this will be local artists' work.  We are truly delighted to find pottery, leather craft, photography, watercolors, jewelry and more.

One of the ladies behind the counter asks to help me, and I inquire about hardware that will turn my charms into earrings.  She thinks a moment, then directs me to her station, where she gets the hardware out of her purse.  She is Susan Hornseth, a local artist who makes sterling silver wire wrapped jewelry using stones and glass, and she just happens to have some supplies in her purse.

Oh, my goodness!  Susan makes my earrings while I watch amazed.   



Susan holds the mirror.






Then she says, "But wait -- there's more!"  No she didn't; I made that up.  

 However, she then strings my third charm onto a leather cord.  I am overwhelmed.  Great Washington hospitality!  I will visit her again on my next trip to Poulsbo. 

Toni leads me to the not-to-be-missed Sluys Bakery, and we salivate at what we see.  I want one of everything!










But I know what will make Herb happy:  oatmeal raisin cookies.  I get him half a dozen fresh baked, and he will be my friend for life!

I am fascinated with the gingerbread men and smiley faces, but the Dala Horse is my favorite.  


Originally a wooden carving for a child's toy, it has become a popular Swedish souvenir.








Find Willie's Tug ....


Willie of Willie's Tug,
   and of Walldog, Willie and Jake
   Sunday, September 9, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Willie, Very nice, we will be in Poulsbo around the 24th of September on our way home from a South Sound Cruise with Port Townsend Yacht Club to Olympia. We so love your pictures and adventures. Assume you do this while you are down south. We will miss all of your adventures from the great Pacific Northwest. Until we meet again, Cindy and Gerry "Celtic Sun"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we want to do South Sound, but it may have to wait until next year. Actually, I regret that I haven't blogged at home, but maybe I will this year. I really missed a good opportunity when we went up the ICW to Kemah (Houston)last Spring.

    Until next,
    ws

    ReplyDelete