Sunday, July 14, 2013

I Get my Sea Legs -- Wednesday - Friday, 7/10-12, 2013 -- Days 61 - 63

The Summer is half over and I just now get my sea legs, on Clark Island, north of Anacortes and between Orcas Island on the west and Lummi Island on the east.

I could say we are practicing for crossing the Strait of Georgia later in the month.

Or I could say we heard about Clark Island and wanted to experience it.

As we enter Rosario Strait we see a tugboat pulling three barges and recall in Texas we would hear the tug's communication, "I have three strung out," as opposed to "three breasted up."




Arriving at Clark Island, we catch a mooring buoy on the east side with land somewhat protecting us on the south, and expect a south wind.  All good.

In spite of the Ketchikan Ferry that traverses to the east.

In the early evening the wind picks up and gives us quite a bounce -- all night long.  With passing vessels giving us a wake, we have 3-4 foot seas and preparing dinner in the galley presents quite a challenge.

I get my sea legs, so I am set for the Summer.

The best thing about being here is the sunrise the next morning.



Willie of Willie's Tug,
   and of Walldog, Willie and Jake
   Wednesday - Friday, July 10 - 12, 2013



2 comments:

  1. That was like us, anchored with Destiny and Hayden Bay in Hughes Bay at the south end of Lopez.....nice and calm until the tide came in and covered up the rocks that were protecting us from the Strait of Juan de Fuca!!! Glad you have your sea legs!!! See you soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, it was rough, but when I read David's Part 2 about going on to Octopus Islands, I was amazed! So glad all are safe!
    <3 ws

    ReplyDelete