Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A Mini Tour of Hoover Dam -- Sunday, May 21, 2017

Hoover Dam is a popular destination for many tourists, as well as travelers like Herb and myself.  

I break my rule of not taking any/many photos on this trip, as I am so impressed with this project. From where we park the car, we are not able to see the dam and water flowing, but I get as many photos of the water as I can.



From the Orange County Register, I learn more about the dam and Lake Mead.  At full capacity, the lake is the largest reservoirs in the United States.    Even at low levels, due to the severe drought, it is still one of the largest man-made lakes in the country.
















Built between 1931 and 1936, the dam is an architectural marvel, and considered one of the seven modern civil engineering wonders.  It spans 1244 feet across Black Canyon and rises 726 feet from the Colorado River.

















A guided tour of the power plant includes a view of 30-foot penstock pipes that control the flow of water, as well as massive generators.

















We should return on a winter day when it is cooler and take some of the tours.  Today we resume our drive into Las Vegas and to our hotel for the night.


Willie of Willie's Tug,
   and of Walldog, Willie and Jake
   Sunday, May 21, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment