Monday, August 9, 2010

Day Forty-one - Anacortes - Sunday, Aug. 8, 2010

Today I visit the 49th Annual Anacortes Arts Festival in downtown.  The main street is blocked off for ten city blocks and artists' booths are set up in the middle and on the sides of the street, interspersed with musical groups and food vendors.  In the middle of each street intersection are recycle and trash receptacles -- and there is no trash on the streets!




One entertaining group is Quichua Mashis playing Peruvian rhythms with Zamponas (pan flutes) and Quenas.  I learn that the pan flutes are hand made of bamboo and are composed of about five pipes of increasing length to give an airy sound.  The Quenas are single flutes of a higher pitch, also made of bamboo.


Why did I not bring my camera!!!




My favorite painting is Paul Sloan's cat who is sleeping on the mantle and has knocked over the books between the bookends, which then has knocked over the wine bottle, which is now dripping toward the floor..........


It drips into Sloan's painting hanging just below, which is of a guy racing with his empty wine glass to catch the spill..........   He makes it!


If you bought one of the paintings, you would need to buy them both.


Since I did not have my camera, I have imported another of Sloan's paintings that was displayed, entitled 'Standing Room Only' from http://ladynin.com/stroon.html




Willie of Walldog, Willie and Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment