Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Sunday Dinner in the South -- 4/5/2015

Our travels find us in Louisiana today at Sweet Caroline's home our daughter and son-in-law, Vicki and Joey, provide.  We join them for Easter services at their church, followed by lunch at one of the few restaurants open this day.

Mealtimes should be happy times, and this one definitely is.  We are reminded that in the South, you are asked if you want sweet tea or unsweet.  (Oh, Herb, we have been gone too long!)


Vicki thinks that would be fun to put on Facebook.


It is a rare treat that I am served mashed potatoes, so I take advantage of the lunch special.  But when it comes, I see a well in the middle filled with brown gravy.  Yuk!  Gravy made with animal fat.  Grease.  Yuk!

I ask the server if I may have plain mashed potatoes without gravy.  Of course, she says and comes back with potatoes without gravy.  She returns to my table again asking if I want butter for the potatoes.  I give in and accept the butter.

Someone at my table comments that in the South, you have mashed potatoes and gravy -- but if you don't, you must have butter.  I gotta say, it is delicious!  We laugh a lot during this meal.

Find mashed potatoes....

Vicki, Joey, Jarred, MaKayla, Herb and Willie
Willie of Willie's Tug,
   and of Walldog, Willie and Jake
   Sunday, Easter Day, April 5, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment